How To Get Rid Of Flood Insurance

It may be possible to get your home removed from a flood zone(technically, removed from a Special Flood Hazard Area), ultimately saving homeowners from lender-required flood insurance premiums.

You may submit an application to FEMA for a formal determination of the property’s location and/or elevation relative to the Special Flood Hazard Area. The SFHA is the area that has a 1-percent or greater chance of flooding in any given year – this area is also referred to by some as the 1-percent-annual-chance floodplain, base floodplain or the 100-year floodplain.

After FEMA reviews the map-change request, it will issue a Determination Document, either approving or denying the map change. If FEMA grants the map amendment or revision request, the property owner may no longer be required to pay flood insurance. The property owner may send the Determination Document to his or her lender and request that the federal flood insurance requirement for the structure be removed, according to FEMA.

Take the next step

Getting started is easy. Just pick one of the options below and answer some questions. It only takes a few minutes.

Get Approved to Buy

Refinance or Get Cash Out